Advanced and Accelerated Services provide programs that serve students and families in Newaygo County. Programs are offered for Kindergarten through 12th grade students in a wide variety of subjects. 

    Consultation is also available to parents and educators regarding educational options and instructional strategies for Gifted and Talented students. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please contact Advanced and Accelerated Services at (231)924-8823.

    Academically Talented Youth Program (ATYP)

    Students in the NC RESA Academically Talented Youth Program participate in accelerated learning in their strongest subjects, meet and work with like-minded peers from throughout the county, and earn credit toward high school graduation. Students can apply for the two year ATYP program in either sixth or seventh grade.  Upon successful completion of ATYP, the student may enroll in upper-level courses in either Math or English/Language Arts at their local high school.

    Since the Academically Talented Youth Program is both advanced and accelerated, students must be dedicated, self-motivated, and have the desire to be challenged.  Admission is based on each student's report card, test scores, teacher/counselor recommendation letters, application essay responses, and an interview accompanied by a parent/guardian.

    English Language Arts

    In ATYP ELA, students can complete courses equivalent to English 9, 10, and 11. In Michigan, students are required to complete 4 credits of English Language Arts. Students will be prepared to take advanced English classes upon successful completion and credit recommendation for the ATYP English Language Arts course.


    In ATYP Mathematics, students can complete courses equivalent to Algebra 1 & 2, and Geometry. Students will be prepared to take upper-level math courses upon successful completion and instructor recommendation of the ATYP Math course.

    Other Programs

    • Exploratories
    • Spelling Bee
    • FIRST


    For more information on these programs, please contact your local school guidance counselor or Advanced and Accelerated Services.